Győr, Kossuth Lajos street 5.
The synagogue of Győr holds an important spot in Central-Europe’s 19th century architecture, with its special octagon shaped layout it later served as a model for other neolog synagogues in the Carpathian Basin.
The late historicist and art nouveau style building together with the two two-storey wings functioning as a school were constructed between 1868 and 1870 according to the plans of Károly Benkó, and were realised by Vilmos Frankel architect. A winter church was added to the synagogue in 1926-27.
Following the re-sanctification of the synagogue after World War II, the decreased community was unable to maintain the building, it became state property. It was left to decay for decades util the full monumental restoration started in 2003. Since the restoration the music faculty of the Széchenyi István University has been using the building as well as the City Art Museum for its permanent exhibition, the Vasilescu collection.
President of the Jewish Community: Tibor Villányi
Rabbi: Péter Joel Totha