John of Nepomuk Chapel
Győr, Rát Mátyás tér 4.
By the bridge of the Rábca river the first chapel was built in the old building of the customs house and sacred in honour of Saint John of Nepomuk. The chapel burnt down in 1848, but in the following year Wolf Mátyásné,Johanna Rohovszky, donated a significant amount of her fortune for the reconstruction and maintenance of the chapel. On top of that she also provided the salary of priest-guardian and the cantor. Her request was granted, she was put to rest under the chapel, in the crypt and still remains there to this day.
The eclectic style small catholic chapel belongs to the Győr-Újváros parish. The same-age building next to it was built as a priest’s apartment, but is now functioning as the office of the Five Churches Festival.
Lutheran Old Church
Győr, Petőfi square 2.
The Lutheran Old Church was built in copf style between 1783-1785 in an enclosed courtyard, without a tower, in accordance with Joseph II’s Edict of Tolerance. It reached its final form in the beginning of the 19th century.
Its baroque pulpit-shrine was made in the second part of the 18th century with Soma Orlai Petrich’s painting.
Its interior, simple decoration and furnishing, were restored and reopened on the 11th of December 2016 much to the delight of the Lutheran community and many people interested.
Interesting fact about the building is that there are still to this day cannon balls from the napoleonic wars lodged into the northern and eastern walls.
The courtyard is accessible from Petőfi square, through the gates of the Insula Lutherana ( buildings surrounding the church ).
Győr, Kossuth Lajos street 5.
The synagogue of Győr holds an important spot in Central-Europe’s 19th century architecture, with its special octagon shaped layout it later served as a model for other neolog synagogues in the Carpathian Basin.
The late historicist and art nouveau style building together with the two two-storey wings functioning as a school were constructed between 1868 and 1870 according to the plans of Károly Benkó, and were realised by Vilmos Frankel architect. A winter church was added to the synagogue in 1926-27.
Following the re-sanctification of the synagogue after World War II, the decreased community was unable to maintain the building, it became state property. It was left to decay for decades util the full monumental restoration started in 2003. Since the restoration the music faculty of the Széchenyi István University has been using the building as well as the City Art Museum for its permanent exhibition, the Vasilescu collection.
Győr Kossuth Lajos street 24.
The Jewish community started a foundation in 1913 to build and run a building functioning as a food bank and a shelter house. Built by the plans of Károly Mocsányi and Dezső Stadler, the community building has significant architectural value in this quarter of the city. After the war the original building lost its function, it became city property. In 2011 the Jewish Community bought the building back from the city use it the same way as the designers of the building planned to use it.
In the summer of 2014 the Jewish Religious and Local History Exhibition and the Holocaust Remembrance Exhibition opened on the ground floor of the building. The 100-120 m² exhibition space presents the history of the local jews, customs and ceremonies of the jewish religion, as well as the everyday lives or rural jews. A chamber theatre room capable of hosting 80 people was constructed in the right wing of the building, where the successful Menház Színpad functions. The basement and the first floor will be able to host other community functions once the renovation is finished.
Győr, Kossuth Lajos street 9.
The first calvinist church in Újvárros was built in1784, the parish that is still used today was built in the place of the “Red Ox” inn in the middle of the 19th century. The new church, built in 1906, with 776 seats became the centre of the Calvinist community of Győr.
TThe building was designed by an architect with local roots, Károly Csányi and Győző Czigler, and realised by builder Lajos Káldy. The church wears the signs of late historicism, its mass is strongly fragmented. Its interior is gives a unified impression, its huge hall is decorated by simple gothic motives. Its longitudinal layout is closed by an octagon-shaped apse, the star decorating the top of the tall tower can be seen from far
Győr, Kossuth Lajos street 42.
The Saint Joseph parish church was built between 1836 and 1841 according to the plans of Antal Fruhmann, on the location of the first known lutheran church. It is the second biggest church in Győr, as well as one of the most beautiful memories of classical architecture. The only religious relic remaining from this church, the painting of John of Nepomuk, is in the possession of the church to this day. The one naval church has chapels lining up on both of its sides. The main altarpiece is the creation of Hemmerlein, the frescos on the two sides of the apse are the creations of Franz Lair. The art relic akin organ was built between 1852-54.
Greek Catholic Church
Győr, Bálint Mihály street 54.
In the 18th century, the southern part of Kossuth Lajos street was mostly inhabited by serbs. Rich serb merchants founded the serb orthodox church in 1727 by reconstructing the church already existing since the turkish era.
Surrounded by walls and strengthened by pillars, the simple, well-proportioned, baroque style building has the gravestones of its believers in its courtyard. Specialty of the church are the copf style iconostasis and the also copf style benches. The tower of the church was hit by a bomb during World War II. In the 20th century the church was abandoned, its condition was getting worse, the iconostasis was transported to a museum. The building was saved from decay as it got reconstructed and restored in 1995. The Serbian Orthodox Church gave the church to the Greek Catholic Church for use, which made the restoration of the church and the parsonage possible.The community is slowly, but consistently growing, nourishing its traditions.