Old Lutheran Church

Old Lutheran Church

Győr, Petőfi square 2.

The Lutheran Old Church was built in copf style between 1783-1785 in an enclosed courtyard, without a tower, in accordance with Joseph II’s Edict of Tolerance. It reached its final form in the beginning of the 19th century.

Its baroque pulpit-shrine was made in the second part of the 18th century with Soma Orlai Petrich’s painting.

Its interior, simple decoration and furnishing, were restored and reopened on the 11th of December 2016 much to the delight of the Lutheran community and many people interested.

Interesting fact about the building is that there are still to this day cannon balls from the napoleonic wars lodged into the northern and eastern walls.

The church is to this day the centre of the Lutheran Parish Community’s life in Győr, as well as, thanks to the great acoustics and large capacity of the building, a regular host of concerts.

The courtyard is accessible from Petőfi square, through the gates of the Insula Lutherana ( buildings surrounding the church ).

Pastors: János Csorba and Attila Jánosa