Greek Catholic Church

Greek Catholic Church

Győr, Bálint Mihály street 54.

In the 18th century, the southern part of Kossuth Lajos street was mostly inhabited by serbs. Rich serb merchants founded the serb orthodox church in 1727 by reconstructing the church already existing since the turkish era.

Surrounded by walls and strengthened by pillars, the simple, well-proportioned, baroque style building has the gravestones of its believers in its courtyard. Specialty of the church are the copf style iconostasis and the also copf style benches. The tower of the church was hit by a bomb during World War II. In the 20th century the church was abandoned, its condition was getting worse, the iconostasis was transported to a museum. The building was saved from decay as it got reconstructed and restored in 1995. The Serbian Orthodox Church gave the church to the Greek Catholic Church for use, which made the restoration of the church and the parsonage possible.The community is slowly, but consistently growing, nourishing its traditions.

Minister: László Polgári